Select a page

Banking News

ANZ and Sacombank ink Vietnam credit card JV

ANZ and Sacombank ink Vietnam credit card JV

(7 June 2006 – Vietnam) ANZ has signed a memorandum of understanding with Vietnam’s Sacombank to set up a credit card joint venture. ANZ has a 10 percent stake in Sacombank, which is Vietnam’s largest private bank with a network of 109 branches.

ANZ will have a 40 percent stake in the credit card joint venture with Sacombank having the remaining 60 percent.

ANZ managing director of International Partnerships Owen Wilson said Vietnam’s economy was growing rapidly and the development of the financial system indicated there was considerable potential for credit cards in the medium term.

"This is a unique partnership for Vietnam that combines ANZ’s established strength in credit cards with Sacombank’s local expertise and customer base to establish a specialist Vietnamese credit card business," Wilson said.

He said the credit card market in Vietnam was currently small with just 100,000 in circulation in a country with a population of 84 million, but that the joint venture would play a leading role in developing the market.

ANZ has similar credit card partnerships in Indonesia and the Philippines.

The JV in Vietnam is subject to regulatory approvals.
East & Partners's avatar

Comment on this article


Your comments will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Please enter the word you see in the image below:


Subscribe to our mailing list

Sign up now to keep up-to-date with the latest
market news and insights in B2B banking.

* indicates required

For more information please read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statements.